Monday, May 23, 2016

Who Will Speak the Blessing?

I wrote this in honor of my father-in-law, who always spoke the blessing at family gatherings. I was sitting with the approach of our first family gathering at which he would not be there to speak the blessing. I'm sharing it here because I know there are others who have had to face the same moment. This gave me comfort, may it do the same for you and your family. 

Who Will Speak the Blessing? 
Lynda Allen

Heads are bowed,
eyes are closed, 
yet no voice is raised.
Who will speak the blessing?

Without agreeing to,
we left a space in the circle.
One day, we know the circle will close, and we will fill the space,
but for now, who will speak the blessing?

Today, we simply let the silence be;
the echo of our loss,
reverberating in the space left behind.
No one speaks the blessing.

Hands instinctively reach one for the other,
hearts join in a moment of shared grief and grace,
transforming the silence.
Love speaks the blessing.



#OneHeartataTime 

No comments: