Monday, September 30, 2013

Please prove that you are not a robot.



Please prove that you are not a robot. Those words were just on the computer screen as I went through the process of posting a comment on a friend’s blog. At least they asked nicely. Please prove that you are not a robot.  I wondered how does one go about proving that, let alone proving that through a machine?

Then of course I wondered, as I’m prone to do, where does the word robot come from. This is what I found online through the Online Etymology Dictionary; from Czech robotnik "slave," from robota "forced labor, compulsory service, drudgery," from robotiti "to work, drudge," from an Old Czech source akin to Old Church Slavonic rabota "servitude," from rabu "slave. 

It suddenly became a much more profound question.

Am I a slave? Am I living in servitude? That gave me pause. Don’t we all kind of live in servitude in some ways? Even as we strive not to, we sometimes are enslaved by other’s opinions. We sometimes feel as if we live in servitude to the dollar or a job or some label or another.

It left me wondering where in my life I am living as a robot. Usually I find the most dangerous thing I am a slave to is my own mind. As much as I strive to live from my heart, still there are times when my mind overtakes my heart. I notice an old reaction to someone or something that is clearly an old record my mind wants to play again. Or I give in to frustration in my car and drive feeling less than peaceful. Honestly, when I catch myself doing that in my car, it is truly amazing to stop and just feel what’s happening in my body. If I connect with my heart in those moments I find that under that frustration emanating from my thoughts, there is peace within my heart. Actually that is true of all those moments when I catch myself living robotically from my mind, if I can still my mind I find deep peace within my heart. In fact it is vast enough that all the frustration or fear or anger I am feeling can be held gently within that peace and surrounded tenderly with love until my mind remembers its true self again.

Don’t misunderstand me, I believe the human mind is a beautiful thing and amazing gift when guided by and working in unison with the heart. It is when it is misguided by the ego and fear that I find I run into problems. It is then that I start listening to and believing those old records it plays, you know the ones, the grooves are carved by fear and the needle knows them well.

Luckily my heart has learned to recognize the robotic mind more quickly than it used to and when it does I simply breathe and return my focus to my heart and the unending well of peace I find there. Thank you Google for the unlooked for reminder.  I will leave it to my heart to prove I’m not a robot next time; let’s see if Google can track that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I was feeling like a cog in the works the other day, simultaneously necessary and insignificant. Robots aren't far from that! ~ Amy B.

kloppski said...

I agree with Amy. I needed this, thanks. I'm having difficulty finding the peace the last few days.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Unfortunately, many are in denial of cultural enslavement & their own compulsory service because of habitual routine & keeping their eye on the prize. Love your catch on robot! ❤