Saturday, April 14, 2018


Balance and the Vernal Equinox (from March 21, 2018)

I was reflecting the other day on balance. I know that I often talk of balance on the equinoxes, however, it came up for me differently this time. I am pondering why, when I think of balance, I automatically think of equal parts, of something symmetrical. I actually prefer asymmetry in art. I don’t know why it never occurred to me before at the equinox to think about a different kind of balance, one that isn’t equal parts this and equal parts that. Balance can be incredibly beautiful without everything having to match.

What then if I applied that thinking to our perspective on the light and shadow within us?  It was a revelation to me, though perhaps you’ve thought of it before! I am a visual person and had been writing recently about negative and positive space and the image that is created by both. So while I knew this before, now I see it with more clarity. In this human expression, our goal isn’t to eradicate the shadow within us, but to find a beautiful balance of it in harmony with the light. And the gift of asymmetry is that we can allow and encourage the light to be so much greater than that shadow that we all have, and yet, still have balance. I can acknowledge the shadow side, and be aware of its reminder of the choice that as a conscious human being I can make each moment for compassion, for love, for peace, for light. I can let the memory of asymmetry be my reminder of the opportunity to consciously diminish the shadow within myself, in balance with my goal to always be growing the light. What a beautiful image that can make!

Now I see the asymmetry of potentially our biggest snowfall of the year so far, against the contrast of the first day of spring in a new way.

Just for fun, in honor of the snow falling outside my window, check out these amazing magnified photos of snowflakes. I think I’ve shared it before, but it’s worth sharing again! https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/03/alexey-kljatov_n_4373888.html

May the light always be growing within you!

No comments: